Wednesday 13 May 2009

Virtuous Sin?

Originally Posted - 25 Jan 2008


I was laying in my bed this morning pondering on how I was feeling (horny) and how I had felt yesterday (horny, jealous, wanting) and probably how I was going to spend the weekend feeling (horny, lonely, envious, longing) Not a good list really


You see my wonderful DB is indisposed (I love that term) He has leave days from work and is with his family, add to that he has run out of free minutes and texts on his phone and is desperate not to incur a question provoking bill and that his time on the pc is very limited with his daughters birthday looming and other commitments our contact is very sparse.


He loves me, I KNOW that, I have no doubt of his feelings for me and I know that I have nothing to worry, fret or be concerned over. I know that if he could he would be in constant contact via phone or MSN, I know ALL that. So why is it when there is so little contact I get all tetchy and grouchy, not with him, but with myself and my world.


Simple. Greed!

And it led me to thinking about the 7 Deadly Sins and how many of them I now openly wallow in…….so I looked them up….

Lust is excessive sexual appetite. (Eerrm yes you could say I am guilty of that)

Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation. (Oooh yes another one, I know domestic life can be boring and tedious but I envy his wife, she gets to partake in the mundane with him)

Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires. (Tut yes I am a piggy and comfort eat when unhappy and feel out of control)

Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath. (Hmmm ok I am free of this one, not angry, not full of wrath)

Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness. (Nah once again not guilty, never really been a material type of girl)

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work (Yep there's another one, I'm a lazy beastie and definitely avoid it if at all possible)

Pride is also known as vanity. (No this is one I don't suffer from. Not particularly proud of my own abilities or appearance and I certainly do not believe that there is any room for pride where love is concerned)

So there we have it…..4 out of 7……a little over 50%......a pass rate if it was positive things we were trying to achieve here! But they are not seen as good qualities to have so I guess that's a fail then.

Anyway while investigating these dreadful sins I came across their opposites – the Seven Holy Virtues….

Chastity is purity of body and thought. (Uumm no…….but love it when DB is in chastity)


Kindness is an admiration of others. (I can do kindness….to small animals, children and old folk)


Temperance is the practice of self-control, abstention, and moderation (Ooops failed again, but DB is so good at self control, when I tell him that is)


Forgiveness is composure and calm. (Not sure on this one, I'm sure I have the quality somewhere)


Charity is generosity, a willingness to give. ( Oh I love to give give give…..but sheesh there are times when it is SO good to be given!)


Diligence is a zealous and integrity in one's actions and work. (Hee hee I can be very diligent when the task in hand is something I am enthusiastic about)


Humility is modesty. (I know when to say sorry)


And so it occurred to me that in actual fact, crappy qualities or not, it appears to be quite fun at times to be sinful and that I should focus on the more entertaining of the deadly sins with a healthy mix of the virtues!!

I think between us we can have a sinfully virtuous time


(I would also like to add at this point before I post that this was written very 'tongue in cheek' at the time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment